Monday, July 11, 2011

The English School Days

Well, this summer, seeing as my regular job is finished for the school year, I started looking for a summer job to keep the income flowing.  I called around San Sebastian offering up my help for 'colonias' (colonies in English), which are basically the local version of summer camps.  A lot of places provide summer camps all in English and are usually looking for summer help and more than anything, native speakers - both of which I was offering!

The one that was the most appealing offer though was a summer program at The English School.  Normally I teach at an academy and the kids come after school, but The English School is a real school.  It is daycare through junior high, all taught in English.  The students study math, history, science, etc in English and then have Spanish and Basque classes like normal subjects.

When I called, the summer coordinator, Begoña, said they weren't looking for a teacher at the moment but to pass anyways with my resume.  So, when I left my house the next morning, resume in hand, I thought the 'interview' was going to take about 10 minutes max.  In the end, it was over an hour and she offered me a job right on the spot - full-time for the summer working with 2-year old kids.  Estatic, I accepted and left what I thought wasn't a real interview with a real job!

Win-Win finished on a Friday and the next Monday I was at the new job!  The kids I work with are adorable, but a handful to say the least.  I have 6 2-year olds and one 1-year old who is attached to my hip or the tears start to fall.  The kids arrive any time between 8am and 9am and I arrive at 9 and we head to class.  Since I am used to teaching kids 4 years old or older, its quite a difference to teach such young kids.  I wouldn't exactly say it is TEACHING, but meerly babysitting in English with a tad of vocabulary.  We have 'class' for about an hour and a half and then recess.  Since my kids are so young they eat right after recess and then we put them down for a nap.  Eating doesn't just involve watching them eat,  no siree, I feed a lot of them and they have to wear little aprons so when they eat they don't get it all over thier clothes!  And before nap, I always need to put diapers on them, just in case.  An honest question in my interview is if I knew how to change diapers.  Strange question but definitley valid.  And yes I do.  It's been awhile, but I have had my fair share of diaper experience.

Not only do I like the kids (awww such cute mischevious smiles they get!) but my co-workers are great too.  My boss, Begoña, along with two other teachers - Marissa and Sheila - are from here and another Heather, is from Manchester, England.  We all get along very well and speak a mix of Spanish and English.  

Some days we go on field trips, like last week when we took them to the amusement park in San Sebastian.  It is on top of Mount Igeldo and has amazing views, which us teachers loved but I don't think the kids even noticed.  I thought I might share a few photos with you all so you can see what I am up to lately besides making our house a home and trying to get some rays at the beach.

Muxu!
Amanda

No comments: