Friday, May 22, 2009

STRIKE!

Yesterday (Thursday), the people of the Basque Country decided to organize a strike (huelga). I have asked a lot of people what the strike is striking against, and no one can really tell me. I have heard they are striking for better wages, but Basque Country is the richest 'state' in Spain. I have heard they are striking against the crisis, but you would think they wouldn't want to take a day off when they could be making money if they are really having a crisis. Regardless, I really have no clue as to why they striked (is that grammatically correct? striked? stroke? bleh, these are the questions I ask myself now haha).

Esther (my friend from California) and I thought since we both didn't work until the evening that we would get together and have a nice lunch. Bad idea during a strike! Everything was closed - I know I know, I should have expected it, but everyone was saying it wasn't going to be such a big deal. After giving up on a restaurant, we walked around the whole town looking for a baker's shop that actually had bread available. We went to about 7 stores, all out of bread. The last shop, I was the person standing behind a couple who got the LAST loaf of bread. Luck. Eventually, we just gave up and I went to wait for my bus to work. It never came and I rode along with Erika. Of my 4 classes that day, only about half of the students showed up because barely any of them went to school because the teachers even striked! Crazy day!

Glad to be back to normal on Friday and headed into the weekend. I hope you all had a great week! 27 days til I come home!!!

Besos!
Amanda

No comments: