Monday, October 20, 2008

Kicking the week off!

Whew, the day is almost over - I can't beleive it! Today went so quickly. I had a private lesson this morning, which was pretty good. It is with a girl that is 18 and today we talked all about adjectives (adjectivos). It's been a long time since I had to identify adjectives in a sentence and was a little thrown off by this sentence: "It is nice to meet you". Now I would say that there isn't an adjective in this sentence, but apparently, nice is the correct answer. The book we use teaches that adjectives always come before the verb, but the verb is 'It is' and 'to meet you' is in the infinitive. I know, I know, you aren't trying to learn English, so I will stop, but needless to say, I was a bit thrown off today ha! I guess I still have some English learning to do.

My Spanish class was today, for one hour. My tutor, Carmen, packed in loads of material for the one hour. I think we covered all of this: numbers (numeros), time (tiempo), adjectivos, the verbs Ser and Estar, which are the Be verbs in Spanish, money, phrasal verbs like 'I have to ___' and 'I am going to ___', possesive nouns, months (meses), reading, alphabet, talking about yourself and much more. It was like a whirlwind one-hour review of all of the Spanish I have ever learned! I was pleased with how much I remembered and that I was able to communicate, even if I do have a funny American accent when I speak Spanish!

The rest of the classes were good - a test for my teenage boys, an arts and crafts fruit mobile for my 6-year-old girls and interviews for my teenage girls. Overall, a pretty easy day and am home now for dinner and to rest up for tomorrow!

I did want to share a few pictures of a judo event I saw while on the way to work. It was like a recital but for judo, which is very popular here. The group was singing and using instruments to make the beat and then fighting to the beat. If it were an Olympic sport, I would call it rhythmic fighting. Wait...maybe judo is an Olympic sport already - hahaha I have no idea! There was even a little young boy, probably 8 or 9, and he was awesome and definitley kept up with the big kids, except that he couldn't roundhouse kick over thier heads, obviously! I saw my fair share of back-flips, break-dancing style moves and cool kicks. Just another day in the life I guess!

Hope your Mondays were great and you're starting your week off nicely.

Besos,
Amanda

2 comments:

Cassie said...

That is totally like capoeira!

Amanda said...

Hahah it probably is! I didn't have a clue, but I know judo is all the rage out here, so I assumed. Upon further research, you are probably right!